Sense from Seattle

Common sense thoughts on life and current affairs by a Seattle area sexagenarian, drawing on personal experience, years of learning as a counselor to thousands of families and an innate passion for informed knowledge, to uniquely express sensible, thoughtful, honest and independent views.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

2005 Book Report


Here’s my 2005 book report. Once again, most of the books I read were from libraries, though my number of library visits, 14 to Renton and 3 to the King County Library, was a little smaller than in prior years. Via the Internet, I did buy a few books, new and old, but I bought more from the Half Price Books sale rack. Three of the books I bought were on my list of reading favorites from last year.

The number of books I read was just a little over half of the number for prior years, and many of the books I checked out I did not finish reading. Especially on political subjects I have been doing much more of my reading over the Internet. Though the quantity of books read diminished, the diversity of subjects expanded.

Without any ranking, here is a list of a dozen books I considered either excellent or very good:

Atonement - a novel
Mornings on Horseback - biography
God, a Biography - religion
Writing Life Stories - a memoir writing guide
Homegrown Democrat - a memoir
Gifts Differing - personality analysis
Please Understand Me - personality analysis
John Adams - biography
Exporting America - political economics
Big Russ - memoir
Nickel and Dimed- political economics
Miracle at Philadelphia - history

I have no particular plans for reading topics this year and will probably just go where my interests take me. What did you read in 2005 that you would recommend?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home