Sense from Seattle

Common sense thoughts on life and current affairs by a Seattle area sexagenarian, drawing on personal experience, years of learning as a counselor to thousands of families and an innate passion for informed knowledge, to uniquely express sensible, thoughtful, honest and independent views.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Prayer and Politics


Another study of the effect of prayer on medical recovery was released last week. Some people question whether prayer can be studied scientifically, because it involves the supernatural. But prayer also involves natural processes of mind-body connection. This recent study looked at whether patients recovered better from surgery if they were being prayed for by other people and whether it made a difference if the patients knew for sure others were praying for them. The study did not show the prayers had any beneficial effect on recovery.

Other studies have shown that people pray mostly for themselves, and less often for others. Religious experience is very personal but also has communal aspects. Those who believe in a soul or continuing spirit usually believe in individual responsibility for what happens to that soul or spirit after death. Many people offer prayers of intercession for other souls and spirits, typically for relatives or others with whom they identify or for whom they feel affinity.

I have lots of personal experience with prayer. Thirteen years of Catholic education exposed me to a vast arsenal of prayers, including many in Latin. Memorization was definitely required, even if understanding lagged. I prayed for my personal safety and freedom from hurt and sometimes tried to make prayer deals with the deity. Sometimes we prayed for the poor souls in purgatory or the poor “pagan babies” overseas. My most heartfelt prayers were offered after going to confession and then to the altar rail to say the assigned number of Hail Marys and Our Fathers. There I would linger and reflect on what I had done wrong and who I had hurt and how I had hurt Jesus, and I would let Him know how bad I felt about doing wrong and how honestly I intended to try to do better.

In my late twenties, no longer a practicing Catholic, while traveling in Europe I made a visit to Lourdes. The Lourdes Grotto was familiar to me because the Church of my youth, Immaculate Conception, had a side altar that was a Lourdes replica, including photographs of the hanging crutches left behind by those cured at Lourdes. I visited the museum at Lourdes, which included documentary evidence of the cures, but the cynical lawyer side of me was not impressed. What did impress me was a nurse from Ireland who told me that she spent her annual vacations helping with the “malades”at Lourdes because it inspired her. Her inspiration came not from anyone being cured, but from the change she observed in the patients who came to Lourdes solely focused on being cured, but who then began to know and be concerned about other patients and then they started praying for the cure of the others. The miracle of Lourdes to this nurse was that by transforming their prayers to concern for others, her patients were making life better for themselves.

The Catholic mass now includes community prayers for specific members of the Church community and for needs of the broader community. But sometimes the community is not broad enough. I remember going to a prayer service just before the start of the Gulf War and hearing prayers for our troops and their families, but no prayers for the Iraqi troops and their families or even for the Iraqi people. When I used to say bedtime prayers with my children I encouraged us to end our list of prayer beneficiaries with the all-encompassing “and everyone everywhere”.

As a former attorney, I also have about forty years of professional prayer experience. Lawyers end legal pleadings with a “prayer for relief”, which literally says the petitioner “prays for” a list of desires, all for the benefit of the petitioner and usually at the expense of the other party. Petitions by guardians and trustees might be considered as prayers of intercession on behalf of others, but most legal prayers would not be inspiring to the Irish nurse at Lourdes.

There is a politics of prayer. Republicans, Conservatives and Libertarians pray for themselves and for anyone else similarly situated. They seek relief from whatever they find personally oppressive, most notably payment of taxes and submission to governmental regulation. Democrats and Progressives pray for intercession on behalf of the less fortunate. They seek help to lift the downtrodden, through the use of taxes and governmental regulation as needed. Since praying for others makes the person praying healthier and happier, Democrats should be better off in that regard. Democrats can even pray for Republicans - that they will see the error of their way and be converted.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
What inspired you to write an article on prayer?
John from Phoenix

9:33 PM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

The recent study of prayer received fairly good news coverage which reminded me of my ongoing interest in the subject.

Theistic religions focus on prayer as supplication to the deity. I see prayer in a non-theistic way, in accordance with these beliefs as described in the Wikipedia prayer article:
# The belief that prayer is intended to inculcate certain attitudes in the one who prays, rather than to influence the recipient;
# The belief that prayer is intended to train a person to focus on the recipient through philosophy and intellectual contemplation;
# The belief that prayer is intended to enable a person to gain a direct experience of the recipient;
# The belief that prayer is intended to affect the very fabric of reality itself;
# The belief that the recipient expects or appreciates prayer.

Writing Sense from Seattle is prayerful for me, and the news of the prayer studies prompted me to acknowledge that prayer plays a role in my life.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My weak memory teases me with a line from a play I saw. An actor playing a theologian (CS Lewis?) says that he prays "not to change the mind of God, but to change me", or something like that. I was really taken by that, and it is much in line with your first bullet. I like that thought.

The fourth bullet, that prayer is intended to change the fabric of reality itself is so philosophically heavy, I can barely think about it. If we pray to change reality, and it works, then was the earlier reality only in my mind? If so, what is reality? Just what my mind comprehends now?, and - watch out - reality will change because I'm on my knees again. This belief sounds like the philosophy of those who say we are all in heaven dreaming a reality. This kind of reasoning led Descarte to say "I think, therfore I am".

The fifth bullet is far too mystical for me. I too can pray, concentrating on the traits I admire of the recipient. Barely a day goes by I don't think of my mother who died in 1990. I'd like to think she hears my thoughts (prayers), but get real. What I'm really doing is described by bullets #1, 2 & 3.

How is Sense prayerful? How does it fit with your five bullets?

John from Phoenix

9:01 PM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

I tried a Google search on the exact dialogue line you quoted, but could not find the source. It does sound like something Lewis might have said. Google did lead to some hits on the first part of your quote, "not to change the mind of God", including this interesting one from the Benedictines.

As for changing reality, I suppose reality is what we see, or think we see, or choose to think we see. Take a look at the “about me” section at the top of the Sense home page and you will see I ended with the Latin version of the Descartes saying.

When you say bullet five is mystical and refer to your mother, it sounds like you are unsure of the afterlife. Surely the idea that living persons expect or appreciate prayer is easily comprehensible. If there is a spirit or soul that exists in the afterlife, then earthly communication to and from that spirit or soul is quite plausible. The problem is to grasp what happens after earthly death.

My purpose in writing Sense, put in terms of the five prayer bullets, is to:
• examine my attitude toward wrongdoing by persons in power
• contemplate the impact of the wrongdoing on the victims
• empathize with the pain of the victims
• sharpen my view of the reality of the wrongdoing and the injuries it causes, and
• affirm my belief that the victims expect and appreciate my concern.

A collateral purpose of Sense is to encourage readers to engage in similar prayer.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. The link to the essay on prayer by the Benedictine sister is very interesting to me. It is pretty deep, and I'll have to reread it several times to really appreciate it. I may read parts of it the next time we host the Lutheran card group. We always have a devotion, and most people read some sappy third grade level story. I'll have something meaty for them. Thanks for that.

2. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that Sense is only about exposing wrongdoing by political leaders. If it is then I would request a change in mission. Surely some political leaders are doing good things, and, if they are in the Bush administration, they need to be applauded. Sense should be about exposing both wrongdoing and rightdoing, no matter how hard the latter is to find.

John from Phoenix

8:54 PM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

I have been rightly accused of emphasizing the negative, which is hard to avoid when we live under the Bush administration. I do see some good things happening, but in these times the good things mostly come in the form of countering the bad things. I usually try to make my criticism constructive by offering what I consider a better alernative, but I agree it would be encouraging to include an occassional article on something which is inherently positive.

Finding someone in the Bush Administration who is doing something good is a major challenge. Rather than waste my time looking for that needle in the haystack, I will let the administration offer its own rose colored portrait. I particularly like the one about the media just focusing on the negative in reporting the story of Cheney shooting his hunting companion, only talking about the 15% of his body peppered by the Veep, with little or no mention of the 85% that was not struck. [By the way, I have not heard anything lately about how the vicitm is doing. If Al Gore had been the shooter, Fox News would have been showing the poor man struggling to recover from here to eternity].

There are other aspects to Sense, such as including some personal memories which may be relevant to current events. I suppose including a few more personal anecdotes might lighten the load.

Be careful not to overload your Lutheran friends with too much meat. If they are devotional vegetarians, too much too soon could be hard on their digestion.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home