Sense from Seattle

Common sense thoughts on life and current affairs by a Seattle area sexagenarian, drawing on personal experience, years of learning as a counselor to thousands of families and an innate passion for informed knowledge, to uniquely express sensible, thoughtful, honest and independent views.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

End of the Alphabet


What a relief to have finished my alphabetical passing thoughts. If you have been reading them, you may be even more relieved than I am to see them end.

When I started the alpha thoughts process two months ago, I had only been posting one article a week and I wanted to publish more often. I am not quite sure what I had in mind for the alpha postings, but the result was my own mini version of a Devil’s Dictionary. I had hoped the alpha postings would prompt me to write more regular articles also, but the alphas took up much more time than I expected, so very few other articles got written.

I did learn a few things by going through the alphas. I did not include many links in the alpha postings, and I realize such links broaden the value and appeal of what is written, so I look forward to getting back to writing articles with good links. In choosing the alpha words, I just picked what came to mind, so the results do show what areas are most on my mind. I wrote most about the Bush Administration, economics, politics, religion and war, all topics I expect to continue covering in my future postings.

One final thing I learned is to be careful about committing myself , and subjecting my readers, to a similar project in the future.

(Claudia Rankine’s book of poetry, so aptly named for this posting, sounds interesting per the editorial reviews at Amazon)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My impression of the project at the end was that it was very entertaining and somewhat thought provoking, far from my impression at the beginning. I appreciate the size of the commitment.
John from Phoenix

6:31 PM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

It did seem to be more entertaining and less thoughtful than I might have expected, though I’m glad to hear you thought it improved along the way. Thanks for reading and commenting. I know there were other readers, but I think you were the only commentator. Since this blog grew out of our e-mail correspondence, I guess now we are sort of sharing our dialogues with whoever is reading. But I know we both enjoy having others participate. Maybe as we turn toward election topics and include some reader polls, we’ll start hearing from others again.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home