Sense from Seattle

Common sense thoughts on life and current affairs by a Seattle area sexagenarian, drawing on personal experience, years of learning as a counselor to thousands of families and an innate passion for informed knowledge, to uniquely express sensible, thoughtful, honest and independent views.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Reagan's the Problem


To paraphrase our so-called "great communicator" President, Ronald Reagan, "here I go again". And to quote the joke line from the Sopranos, "Just when I thought I was getting out, they pull me back in".

The economy is so deeply fouled up, it is hard not to write about it. Two disparate individuals, one I greatly admire and one I mostly deplore, have induced me to publish this post.

I first became aware of Paul Krugman when he did guest appearances on the Keith Olbermann show. Krugman talked like a rare two-handed economist, giving clear and straightforward answers and never hedging them with "on the other hand". When he won the Nobel for economics, that confirmed my opinion.

Ronald Reagan, so unjustifiably praised by some people, did terrible things to America. In an excellent column in the New York Times, Krugman pins the blame for our current economic woes on Reaganomics. Lincoln eloquently stated our government is "of the people, by the people and for the people". Reagan shamefully said "government is the problem". As on most things, Reagan was wrong. Government was not the problem - Reagan was.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the column by Krugman. I sent it on to some friends who think our current president is an obamanation. I haven't heard anything back from them, but I'm not surprised.

I got an email from a German friend (distant relative) who is horrified that Obama is planning a trip to Germany and the only photo op he is planning is at Dachau. I have not heard of such a trip nor do I believe that, the superb politician he is, Obama would stop only at a Nazi concentration camp. That would be like Merkel coming to the US and only wanting to see Wounded Knee. Have you heard about this trip?

John from Phoenix

5:50 PM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

Obama's stop in Germany is for one day only. He did not visit Dachau, the camp I visited, but Buchenwald, the camp his grandmother's brother helped liberate. He also visited Dresden, the site of our notorious fire bombing. Here is a visit report article from the NYT.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant Buchenwald. I got mixed up because Dachau was the one I too visited. Apparently he is tying the Buchenwald visit to the Middle East visit so he can play both sides of the Israel-Palestine coin. My German friend has high respect for the memory of the holocaust. When my sisters and I visited Berlin, he took us to more Jewish memorials and museums than anything else except Catholic churches. My friend did not mention the Dresden visit. I guess Obama's visit all ties together.

He did say that there were few Jewish people held at Buchenwald. It was mostly used for German political prisoners.
John from Phoenix

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home