Sense from Seattle

Common sense thoughts on life and current affairs by a Seattle area sexagenarian, drawing on personal experience, years of learning as a counselor to thousands of families and an innate passion for informed knowledge, to uniquely express sensible, thoughtful, honest and independent views.

Monday, November 15, 2004

Where Are You on the Political Compass?

John in Phoenix gave me this link to Political Compass, a site where you can take a test on your personal views on issues, and the site will then place your views on a political chart that measures economic views from left to right and social issue views from up/authoritarian to down/libertarian. The site is legitimate, private and non-invasive, with a good overall explanation and examples of where historical persons would stand on the compass. The test takes just a few minutes and is definitely worth the time. Thanks John.

So as not to prejudice anyone, I am posting my test result as a comment. I encourage all readers to do the same.

[Note: since this article was originally posted, the address of the compass web site has changed. The new address is below.]

http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/

9 Comments:

Blogger Tom Blake said...

I scored -7.12 on the Economic scale and -5.74 on the social scale, putting me solidy in the southwest quadrant, where I consider myself in excellent position to learn from company with Gandhi, Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Economiclly I'm a negative 3.25 on the left and social libertarian wise I'm a negative 4.31 on the left.

--Chris

9:06 PM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

Susan took the quiz and gave permission to mention her result. She is minus 5.12 on the econ scale and minus 3.69 on the social scale, putting her in the same quadrant as Chris and me.

Anyone else have a compass position outside the southwest quadrant? We could use a little diversity.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Using the familiar Cartesian coordinate system, I scored (-3.0,-4.0). My sister Jane scored (-3.75,-2.82). That places both of us in the SW quadrant, like everyone else who has posted. But she is a Seattleite and I used to be one - same as everyone else who has posted, obviously not reflecting mainstream America today.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I scored:
Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97
Anthony

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I scored a -3.38 and -4.77.

Burns

11:12 AM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

Preaching to the choir is OK if it helps the choir and preacher feel good enough about where we stand on issues, so that we will not hesitate to speak up on the issues to non-choir members when the opportunity arises. Some of the most productive discussions I have seen are not between people who disagree very much, but rather between people who disagree very little. Often people agree on something, but find out they do so for different reasons, and in exploring the different reasons they enrich their understanding.

How likely are kids to adopt the political views of their parents and carry them into adulthood? Perhaps more likely than not, though there are celebrated cases of children adopting opposite views (e.g. Ronald and Ron Reagan). My kids and I are close on the compass, in the same neighborhood as you, Teresa. I expect your Mom is also a neighbor. I am curious about where your Dad would be. Is he really a libertarian and would he be on the far edge of our quadrant?

As for running for political office, I don't have the personality or temperament to be effective, though I might be able to play a role in working with pollster data for some one else's campaign.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My results were:

Economic Left/Right: -1.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.69

Sorry I was a little late in getting to this.

~Reiko

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My numbers: Econ: -7.5; Social: -6.05
Anna

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home