Sense from Seattle

Common sense thoughts on life and current affairs by a Seattle area sexagenarian, drawing on personal experience, years of learning as a counselor to thousands of families and an innate passion for informed knowledge, to uniquely express sensible, thoughtful, honest and independent views.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Internet - Combat Zone


We have had a houseful of company for the past week, which is part of the reason Sense postings have slowed, as we have been enjoying their visit. But I have also been sidetracked by a consequence of my own lack of foresight in letting some of our younger guests access the Internet without my supervision. A particularly invasive advertising spyware has been embedded on my computer and I am working on its elimination.

One volunteer who helps people remove spyware says the Internet is a Combat Zone. Unfortunately, he is correct. In the eight years I have been accessing the Internet, I have successfully avoided becoming a victim. But success comes at a price, constantly having to wade through, consider, install and contend with an ever increasing myriad of advice, offers, upgrades and new protections. Until the current problem, I have not fully appreciated the time and effort needed to stay safe on the Web. I am now keeping a log of my time spent enjoying the Internet and my time spent trying to maintain my security in the Combat Zone.

Adversity often provides an opportunity to re-think. The Internet has become a big part of my life. Is it too big a part? How has it been good and how bad? If I spent less Internet time, what would be a good way to use the time saved? You may expect to hear more on this, and as always, any comments from readers on your views and experiences is welcomed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Blake said...

With the expert help of the folks at Spyware Warrior, my computer has finally been freed from the evil spyware grasp. It required use of lots of special utility programs, guided by the experts through an exchange on their Hijack This forum.

My re-evaluation of Internet use confirms I do find the Net useful and generally worth the maintenance and security time I spend. Taking the time to keep my surfing secure is a necessary expense I am even more willing to incur after this experience. From now on, I will be extremely vigilant about any guests who want to use my computer, and I will be very wary of visiting any potentially dangerous sites.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home