Sense from Seattle

Common sense thoughts on life and current affairs by a Seattle area sexagenarian, drawing on personal experience, years of learning as a counselor to thousands of families and an innate passion for informed knowledge, to uniquely express sensible, thoughtful, honest and independent views.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Choices - Part 1


This past week was the first week I failed to post to Sense, which was ironic since it was a week I had more time available to write. I purposely stopped my weekly borrowing of 5 or 6 DVDs from the library, and some people with whom I usually spend some time were away on trips. But I made the choice instead to read [The Omnivore’s Dilemma, highly recommended], run errands, shop and get chores done.

We make choices on how to use our time. As we retire and get older, we have more time without a job to go to but we also realize we have less time left in our lives. An article in the May/June Spirituality & Health magazine [which publishes some good pieces with an Eastern influence], “Can You Say No to Too Many Choices?” , included a quiz [not available on line] to see if you are a maximizer (a person who wants to make perfect choices), or a “satisficer” (one less obsessed with perfect choices). The quiz was scored using the average of 12 answers registered on a 7 point continuum from satisficer to maximizer. My average was right in the middle, but only one quarter of my responses were in the middle one quarter of the range, which shows the danger of oversimplified test scoring.

Do we also make choices on calculating how much time we have? Can we choose whether or not to believe in life after death or reincarnation, or is such a belief based on faith? Believing that when we die nothing follows reduces our calculation of time available, but does that naturally incline us toward maximization?

We do not choose to be born [some reincarnation believers would dispute or qualify this, but I do not believe in reincarnation]. As youngsters, we operate on instinct and parental domination until we reach the age of reason, which is when parents and their delegates (teachers and preachers) know we are becoming capable of making reasoned choices and they start to influence us to make the choices they want us to make.

On this Mother’s Day, at age 65, I just realized I don’t even know if my mother wanted me to be born. After the birth of my brother three years earlier, my parents separated and my Mom’s mom told her to get a divorce. Mom did not follow the advice right away, I was born, the divorce soon followed and my father disappeared from my life before we ever bonded. To my grandmother, I was the “I told you so” child, an extra burden on my mother. The degree to which my birth was planned is actually irrelevant, since what really counts is the role parents choose to play in the lives of their children. My father opted out, but my mother loved me so much that it took me 65 years to even think of the question whether she planned my birth. And Grandma’s love for us all overcame any misgivings Grandma may have had about my birth.

Over the next few days, I expect to write more about my memories of choices made and how they affect Sense.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, who are the pictures of? Is that you, Tom, with your Mom? I don't remember your looking like that or your Mom looking so pretty and young.

My Mom was 38 years old when I was born. My youngest sibling, my youngest sister was seven when I was born. I had two other older sisters. Seven years is nothing when you are as old as we are now, but seven years to a newborn is immense. I feel I was raised by a mother and father and three aunts.

I never asked the question of whether my Mom wanted me to be born until I reached the age of reason. And then I reasoned she did not plan for me to be born. But I know she never regretted that I was born. My Mom strongly believed you played the hand that was dealt and made the best of it. This philosophy was based on a strongly rooted religious belief. I think I did ok in making her feel good about making my birth worthwhile, but I know I could have done a lot better.
John from Phoenix

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's obvious -- to us Blakes -- that that's Grandma Annie on the left.

I was wondering who the one on the right was, myself. But then I rolled over the photo and saw the file name.

So that's Grandma Orsi then?

Chris

1:43 AM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

You are correct, Chris. The picture is of my Mom on the left and her Mom. Grandma always said she was only 14 when my Mom, her first child, was born, but I think, being illiterate, she got confused with the year of birth. Mom was born in 1914, when Grandma was 19. I think this photo booth picture was probably taken in the mid 1930s, when Mom was about 20 and Grandma close to 40.

John, I'm sure you were a card your Mom felt good about holding.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
The person on the left looks a lot like my memory of you, but too feminine. Now I understand why - the person is a woman. I spent a lot of time at your house. I remember playing some kind of "high tech" football game. Your Mom always made me feel at home.
John from Phoenix

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home