Sense from Seattle

Common sense thoughts on life and current affairs by a Seattle area sexagenarian, drawing on personal experience, years of learning as a counselor to thousands of families and an innate passion for informed knowledge, to uniquely express sensible, thoughtful, honest and independent views.

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

2004 Book Report

I am a slow reader. Spurred by the election year I was able to read a few more books in 2004 than I normally do. My reading was heavily politically related, with a few diversions.

Here are a baker's dozen books I read in 2004 which I considered very good or excellent:

Cold Mountain (novel)
Book of Rule (government reference)
Getting to Yes (negotiation)
Reflections of a Radical Moderate (government by Elliot Richardson)
Made in America (language) Five People You Meet in Heaven (novel)
Tour of Duty (Kerry biography)
Future of Freedom (government)
Losing America (government by Sen. Byrd)
American Dynasty (bio of Bush family)
Lies and Lying Liars Who Tell Them (politics and media)
Censored 2005 (politics and media)
Who Speaks for God? (religion and politics)

Any recommendations for 2005?


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (actually its a book on tape). Kingsolver lives in Tucson. My son gave me her High Tide in Tucson, a book of personal essays on motherhood. Since then I have read everything she wrote that is on tape. She writes about what she knows. She grew up in Apalachia, lives in the Southwest and studied biology. Her writing is full of amazing imagery and subtle references to other writings. Her characters are fascinating. She admires strong women and doesn't care much about men beyond their necessity for procreating children and the pleasure ascociated with that.

The Poisonwood Bible takes place in the Congo in the late 50's and early 60's. (I checked her bio and she lived there too.) We were in high school and college then. It brings back memories of the struggle for the Congo when Belgiam stepped out and The Congo briefly was independent - until the CIA stepped in. Long forgotten names like Lumumba and Mobutu are in this story. Like all her books, its great.
John from Phoenix

6:59 PM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

I think I have had Kingsolver books on my prospective list before, but have not read one. I will check her out.

I added a 13th book to my 2004 list, "Who Speaks for God?", a bookm about religion and politics in the US today.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home