Sense from Seattle

Common sense thoughts on life and current affairs by a Seattle area sexagenarian, drawing on personal experience, years of learning as a counselor to thousands of families and an innate passion for informed knowledge, to uniquely express sensible, thoughtful, honest and independent views.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Mozilla Firefox

Tough I am definitely not a proponent of Microsoft, I have stuck with the Internet Explorer browser - until now that is. Finally, due to inherent security problems not properly addressed by Microsoft, and because of new and useful features in Mozilla Firefox, I have made the switch.

I was able to import my favorites from Internet Explorer and have quickly learned to take advantage of the improved features in Firefox. I like knowing that I am now using a browser designed by volunteers who are truly interested in making things work well for me, rather than one designed by a corporate behemoth who is always trying to figure new ways to use it to make money for itself while at the same time not being truthful to me about the ongoing security problems.

So far, I have not encountered any particular problems viewing web pages with Firefox, but I did note one problem with a page here at Sense. I noticed the Complete Topical Index that I created from the Google Blog template could not be viewed properly in Firefox, so I abandoned the complex template code and made a simplified version, which I am still keeping up-to-date, and which can be linked to from the Sense Home Page.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can Firefox do that Netscape and Opera haven't been doing for some years now?

5:20 PM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

My personal answer to your question is that Firefox got enough good press to cause an amateur like me to happily and successfully switch from Internet Explorer. For a more profesional answer,here is a report from C/NET comparing various browsers.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from North Cack-A-Lacky! I enjoyed your thoughts, although I give Firefox even a little more credit than you do, I think ;) See what I mean here: internet explorer software

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home