Sense from Seattle

Common sense thoughts on life and current affairs by a Seattle area sexagenarian, drawing on personal experience, years of learning as a counselor to thousands of families and an innate passion for informed knowledge, to uniquely express sensible, thoughtful, honest and independent views.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

What Should We Do about the Economy?


People of my generation grew up hearing stories from our parents about how bad things were during the Depression, and also about how poor their family was when they were kids and how hard they had to work for very little pay. I never doubted their stories. I knew they were true because I had seen the old movies on TV showing the same.

There were lots of poor people living in my Central Area neighborhood where I grew up in Seattle. But the years of my childhood were relatively good ones in our economy and I don't remember any bleak times of recession or depression. Boeing was the big employer and it's workforce size varied dramatically, but that never affected me directly since I never worked for Boeing and neither did my parents.

I remember the Boeing Bust [the Boeing workforce was cut from 80,400 to 37,200 between early 1970 and October 1971] with the billboard about the last person leaving Seattle making sure to turn off the light, but I was not directly affected. I was working for a real estate title insurance company as an attorney and my job was secure no matter what - title insurance is needed for home sales and mortgages, and title reports are needed for mortgage foreclosures.

The gas crisis in 1973 and 1974 was not an economic challenge for me. The problem was not the price of gas, but rather the availability, with gas being rationed on an every other day basis dependent on the last license plate digit. I ran dry a few times and had to walk. The associated decline in the stock market did not affect me, nor did the ones in 1976, 1981, 1987 and 1990, because in all those years I had a low overhead private law practice and a wife and four kids to support and did not have enough money to have any stock market investments.

The more recent downturns have been during my retirement years. I knew the post 9/11 slowdown was only going to be temporary, but the current problems are different and much deeper, and they have impacted me directly via my mutual fund values declining significantly. Like many investors, I am just riding it out. But many younger, working people cannot just wait around. They need work and money to make house payments and they are concerned about their economic future. People want to know what we should do about the economy.

We need to get things moving now, put people to work and restore confidence that our government is working to get us back on track. Infrastructure projects that are ready to go but need funding are a good place to start. The Depression stories I heard as a child included stories about people going to work through government programs, doing things they believed were worthwhile and that made them feel good about themselves again.

Longer term, we need technical training programs to enable people to acquire skills that can be employed locally and not outsourced, jobs that are good for people and for our economy and environment. Computer and appliance repair and home energy efficiency improvement installation are examples. We also need to encourage innovation and invention, to enable individuals to build the proverbial better mousetrap - something that could be jump started by a Federal program administered locally.

Extending unemployment benefits and increasing grants and loans for education should be a first priority. Loss of talent to school drop out syndromes should be attacked by incentives and other programs. New efforts to early match young people to a career course should be made, kindling excitement in young people as they learn what skills they possess and how they want to develop and use them.

We need to look back at the crooks and scoundrels who exacerbated this mess. Crooks should be vigorously prosecuted with the criminal system as a deterrent to future offenses, giving long terms to white collar criminals rather than soft time and wrist slaps. Scoundrels should be aggressively sued in the civil courts to go after their ill-gotten gains. Make these high-rollers pay the price in terms of legal fees, settlements and judgments. Shame the shameful, those who took the pay and assumed the responsibility but were too lazy or uninterested to actually do the job. This latter group includes many civic leaders who accept positions on corporate boards to pad their own resumes and lend civic credibility to corporate predators.

The whole concept of corporations needs to be re-examined and reformed. In theory they are limited entities subject to marketplace democracy. But in fact they are eternal monoliths run by oligarchies using money of under-informed private persons and abetted by public subsidies.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
I find it odd that your description of past economic woes would foster feelings of nostalgia in me. Two historic events you wrote about brought back memories.

You wrote of the Boeing Bust of 1970. I left Boeing in 1969 to take a job on the Apollo Program in Houston, Texas. So I missed the carnage by a few months. The huge layoffs occurred because of the cancellation of the Supersonic Transport program. Because such a plane is today still not economically feasible, Boeing was smart to cancel the program before losing even more money. But the sudden cancellation devastated Seattle. After that Seattle diversified its income base, lessening its dependence on Boeing, so that was a good thing.

In 1971 my sister, who had given birth to her eleventh child a year earlier, lost her husband to a sudden stroke. They were living in Phoenix where I live now. She moved her family back to Seattle and was able to pay cash for a three story six bedroom house on Capitol Hill with the $25,000 insurance policy she received from her husband's death. She would not have been able to afford such a house except for the housing depression that arose from the Boeing Bust. There are always people who do well in an economic downturn, and my sister luckily was one of them at that place and time. That gave her the start she needed, and with her hard work and helpful children everyone turned out well.

You talked about the gas crisis in 1974. I transferred with Honeywell that year from the Boston area to Phoenix. My wife and five year old son headed out from Acton, MA in our 1969 Chev and got as far as Danbury Conneticut when we had to stop because our gas tank was low and all the gas stations were closed. We sat in a motel room all afternoon, and I killed time by scaring my son with a story I made up about the Danbury werewolf. I got up very early the next morning and got in a long line of cars at the closest gas station. About two hours later I got my turn and, thankfully, there was still gas to buy. I filled up, got my family and drove due south because I had heard there was gasoline in the southern states. By taking the sourthern route to Phoenix, I had no more problems getting gas, and I avoided the bad weather (we were traveling in January).

Putting aside nostalgia, I have a comment about today's economy. We are seeing more and more of US jobs exported to countries with low paid workers. That in itself is not bad if the US can continue its innovation of creating new industries. Stem cell research is a case in point. That could be a huge growth industry, but our lame duck president decided that stem cell research is immoral giving other countries the jump on us. Such stupidity!

I suppose in the early 19th century there were people saying that railroads were unnatural or immoral or whatever, but Andrew Jackson and other Presidents of the time did not try to stop their development. It took George Bush to make a moral stand that a new engineering discipline is immoral. But we know Bush has no scruples about it. He was just trying to cater to the religious right of his party, probably the only constituency he has left. Obama is in a very good spot now. George W Bush is an easy act to follow.
John from Phoenix

8:04 PM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

Hard times do seem to create memorable moments and good developments sometimes flow from adverse financial situations. What good things will come out of the present downturn, maybe funding for stem cell research, energy efficiency and a universal health care system?

The single parent of today would be flabbergasted at the thought of doing what your sister did as the widowed mother of 11. What an amazing accomplishment.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home