Sense from Seattle

Common sense thoughts on life and current affairs by a Seattle area sexagenarian, drawing on personal experience, years of learning as a counselor to thousands of families and an innate passion for informed knowledge, to uniquely express sensible, thoughtful, honest and independent views.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What If?


Some people actually get married between Christmas and the New Years. Forty one years ago today, I was one of them. I stayed married for a little over half that time. Divorce is a time of examination, and of philosophizing about mistakes and regrets and wondering why and what if. So is the end of a calendar year. Sometimes we look back one year and sometimes many more.

I recently came across my college grade prediction scores. My strong suits were foreign language at 3.7 and botany at 3.6. At O’Dea High I was required to take Latin for four years, which explains the high language score but does not predict my failure to comprehend more than 5% of the dialogue in the foreign movies I have been watching for almost fifty years. The botany score reflects my interest in propagating plants from seed. My parents raised dahlias for competition and from their literature I learned about propagation. I was fascinated by the skin color variations of the multiracial friends in my neighborhood and wanted to learn how traits were passed from parents to children, so I chose dahlia parents of different colors to see what their children would look like.

Math and English were the two majors I considered on entering college. My predicted grade for math was 3.3, and for English 2.9. As it turned out, I chose to "pre-major" and then gravitated into pre-law, concentrating on political science, for which the grade prediction was 3.2. Looking at the predictions again, I was surprised to see music at 3.3, and art and drama at 3.2, since I cannot play a note or draw a lick and I have terrible stage fright. Pursuit of either of those majors might have turned "Sense" into "Sounds", "Sketches" or "Scenes" from Seattle.

At the low end of the grade predictions was engineering at 2.3, which makes sense, since I am good at taking things apart, but terrible at putting them back together. The 2.4 in economics also makes sense now, because I have learned that economics is basically double talk, smoke and mirrors. The smartest economists got us into the current financial chaos and they do not really know how to get us out. The most successful economic idea of recent years, micro credit, was not awarded the Nobel for economics, but won the 2006 Peace Prize instead. Economics was a late comer to the Nobels and arguably is such a vague field that it should never have been included.

My shelf of books purchased but unread books includes "What If?", edited by Robert Crowley, in which various military historians speculate how history would have been changed if battles had ended differently. The book, published in 1999, does not discuss anything more recent than the communist takeover of China. More recent military what ifs could include changes such as Russia vetoing the Korean War, Soviet missiles staying in Cuba, the US not getting involved in Vietnam, coalition forces removing Saddam from power in the Gulf War and the US Congress not being fooled into authorizing the invasion of Iraq.

Prediction, actuality and reflection is the sequence. Education, marriage, career, investment and wars all are subject to prediction, sometimes inaccurate and sometimes dishonest. War and investment seem the most likely victims of bad predictions. Predictions of marriage should be fairly accurate, but the uniqueness and intensity of the relationship varies the results, sometimes for the better and sometime for the worse. Educational and career predications may be more accurate, but are underused and over-ignored.

In their later years, people often look back on their life with a mixture of nostalgia and regret. For me, not being a believer in re-incarnation means we don't get do-overs. We play the hand we are dealt as best we can, making changes along the way based on what we have learned. Nobel Laureate Toni Morrison in an AARP interview said it is bad to have regret as we age and then admitted that she is full of it and that "everything I did right, I didn't do well enough. I'm not morbid at all. It's just that I would like to do it again." Like most people, I wish I had been dealt a better hand in life, and I wish I had played the one I was dealt better than I did. But I don't think I played it that bad. Bluffing works sometimes in cards, but in life it usually just causes problems. I try not to bluff, though sometimes an honest effort to change feels uncomfortable.

I bid good riddance to the political stress of 2008 and look forward to Bush being replaced by Obama. Our country has learned from the enormous mistake of letting Bush take our Presidency. The economic losses of the year may start being repaired in the new year. Unread and new books are waiting to be digested, as are lists of movies old and new. My New years wish for us all is that our "what ifs" regarding the past be replaced with our "what ifs" for the future.

5 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

Interesting post, Pop. I'm curious what your college grade predictions were based on. High school grades? Aptitude testing? Personal interest testing? I tend to be suspicious of these predictions since they don't often have anything to do with the person's actual passions--notice the plural (and your "passion" can be an evolving path). I suppose if all that is being predicted is academic success--as opposed to happiness or a sense of fulfillment--it might prove accurate.

The practical idealist in me says we all should, at all ages, be encouraged to identify and skillfully follow as many dreams as we can reasonably squeeze onto our plates, trusting that if we don't get a crucial food at a earlier point in our lives, rather than playing what if? we can cook that food up later on if it's still something we've got a vibrant appetite for.

Anna of the eternally new year, from Tallahassee.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

I think the prediction was provided by a national company, based on their test and my high school grades. The courses predicted could have been tailored to my region, as they also included "Far East" (3.3 prediction). I'll e-mail you a copy.

Factoring in passions can be tricky. The Strong-Campbell test compares your interests with the interests of people in various occupations and reports the correlations by gender. I took this test when I was thinking of a mid career change, so there may have been a tendency to overly profess non-interest in the subjects I was considering leaving behind. In fact, my overall attitude at that time was one of general non-interest. My high matches were with computer programmers, geographers and college professors, while my lows were with physical ed teachers, life insurance agents and chamber of commerce executives.

I agree academic success, indeed peer recognized achievement, does not necessarily bring happiness or sense of fulfilment. Happiness is not a goal in itself, but rather the joy of achieving a goal. Fulfillment may be the product of achieving a sufficient number of goals. Goal setting is a matter of personal evaluation and honesty. Tests, parents, peers and society can influence our goal setting, but it is ultimately our own decision.

"Practical idealist" sounds a little like an economist's hedge, but I know what you mean. I might have known you would choose a food analogy, but it is a good one. As we age and retire from a career, we have less time left for eating but a larger plate to compensate. My appetite remains strong as ever.

Bonne annee,
Pere

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
You tantalized me at the beginning of your post with a hint that you were going to reveal why your marriage ended after more than 20 years. Then you suddenly changed subjects and discussed a rather inconsequential career predictor from our college days.

My first marriage ended after 15 years. Why? The reasons I can think of are too personal to put on the world wide net. And those reasons may not even be the real reasons, because, after all, I may be too close to the subject to analyse it.

My second wife and I just celebrated our 25th anniversary. She had been married 24 years to her first husband. Why did that marriage end? She has told me a few things, but I really don't know.

The terminations of our first marriages either demonstrates that human beings really do have free will, or that they don't. Are we automatons that simply react to our environment or are we champions of our own destiny who, through force of our own will, are able to make successes of our previous choices if now we so choose?

Twenty five years is long enough to encounter many of life's challenges. We love each other and bicker a lot, but we think now we will be together forever, which, at our age, isn't that long. But we really don't now what lies ahead and whether we can control circumstances or will circumstances overtake our lives.

John from Phoenix

8:03 PM  
Blogger Tom Blake said...

Sympathetic TV biographies of celebrity couples often say they divorced because "they drifted apart". Some couples, though both good people, were not well enough matched in personality to begin with, and at some point the friction of the differences overcomes the ongoing effort to keep the relationship sufficiently lubricated. Not being a celebrity, my experience was more like the latter than the former.

I believe that though we are strongly influenced by our environment and sometimes operate in a reactionary mode, we do have the free will to make choices. Well informed choices after reflection and analysis and considering visceral reactions are the best ones, though in the case of ending marriages with children, even the best choice is not easy and never pleasant. Counseling helps the process of working on a marriage and deciding when it is no longer practicably workable, and also helps with personal analysis for moving on after divorce.

Like you, I prefer to keep personal details regarding my marriage and my present relationship off the Web. Relationships are challenging and rewarding, and the balance can change with circumstances. People can change too, which affects the balance. Sometimes there may be a temptation to give up on relationships permanently, but the single life has its own balancing act.

You may be right that our college grade predictor was "inconsequential". I suppose I did actually disregard it at the time and you may have done the same. However, I still believe they are quite useful, though underused.

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
You wrote that counseling can help a troubled marriage. Is that a personal opinion based on your own experience, or are you reporting on a scientifically based study of counseling, or are you just repeating stuff you have heard?

Did you take counseling when your marriage was dissolving? I did. The psychologist was incompetent. After a couple of sessions with him, I went directly to the divorce attorney's office. Years later I asked my ex-wife what she now thought of him. She said he was terrible. I have had other reasons to get the help of a psychologist. Another one was just as horrible and the third did no harm, and maybe really did help in a small way.

I believe someone going through a bad time can be helped by an intelligent sympathetic person who is not too emotionally close to the bereaved person, but that person probably isn't someone you pay $75/hour.

John from Phoenix

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home